Friday, March 07, 2008

The Quest for Something New: Part 1

I’ve tried a variety of Korean foods, but I certainly haven’t exhausted the possibilities. Some things are just off my list: dog meat, silk warm larvae, and any variety of dried fish, squid or octopus. Call me close-minded, but I just don’t have any desire to try these and I don’t feel the need to prove anything. I’ve been eating Korean food consistently for over a year and believe me, that’s a feat deserving of respect! But I do feel the need to expand my horizons. So for dinner last week, I tried my best to sound out the names of dishes that had no accompanying pictures on the menu. Our collective knowledge of Korean food words is pretty limited so we generally order from restaurants that have picture menus. This selection method hints at why we tire of our routine dinners.

I quickly learned why my choice that evening didn’t deserve a picture. Most Korean dishes accurately reflect their names, so I shouldn’t have been surprised when I sat down to my kimchi-bap. Just as the name suggests, I got a plate of kimchi and rice. Bon appetite? My choice wasn’t exactly adventurous and I’m not quite sure what I was expecting… but I was expecting more than just a pile of kimchi and rice. Some things just are as they claim to be. Reassuring? Maybe in another context.

Since dinner was less than filling or satisfying, I suggested a trip to Baskin Robbins after work. I opted for the new flavor, black sesame, which was basically vanilla ice cream with black sesame seeds. It was just ok.

I try something new in hopes that it will be better than what I know I already like. Sometimes I make a great discovery, but all too often I walk away wishing I just ordered something I knew I’d like. Do I learn my lesson? No. The allure of something new and great is too strong.

Conclusion: I am not deterred! I am determined to find more Korean food that I like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home